Friday, January 05, 2007

they say it's your birthday? it's my birthday too!

this morning i woke up and realized that this will be the last year of my 20's. it's my birthday and i am now 29. so, i laid in bed awhile and contemplated about what has made up the ten years between my teens and (gasp) my thirties. here's a recap of the top 10 most defining events:

1. i went from being a college student waitressing at a brewery, to working as a camera girl for a news station, to working in advertising, to being a teacher in Honduras, to working as a radio producer, to going back to school to become a nurse. unfortunately i will not be a nurse until i am thirty...and a half.

2. i lived in honduras for a year and a half and england for a month.

3. i was a jr. high youth group leader for 3 years and served on my church's social justice committee for 2. being part of that committee allowed me to be involved in various events in my community, my favorite was getting to know part of the hispanic immigrant population here in GR.

4. i buried two grandparents, both grandpas.

5. i've travelled to 19 different countries: honduras (3 times), guatemala, el salvador, nicaragua, costa rica, mexico, china, mongolia, england (2 times), ireland, scotland, romania, hungary (2 times), poland, the netherlands, belgium, cyprus, nigeria, ecuador, and 20 countries if you count canada (numerous times). but at that time i didn't even need my passport. by the way, i've had to amend my passport for extra pages...

6. i've eaten many oddities while traveling including, goat's head (eyeballs and all), fermented mare's milk (that's right, from a horse... and yes, i said "fermented" and yes, i did get very very sick. i even called my mother from mongolia to say my goodbyes), months old goat yogurt complete with goat hair and some strange chunks (talk about live cultures!), pounded yam and guinea corn (it crunches like sand) dipped in a snot like soup, many many different kinds of mystery meat including probably dog, in china, and probably the worst...two months of noodles with nothing but tomato paste and canned corned beef for a topping in nigeria. i lost 5 pounds. but have since gained 25...

7. i became an aunt 6 times over. i have 7 nieces and nephews but one was born before i was 20, i believe. i am very proud of this role.

8. i got married to my best friend.

9. i bought a home

10. i've had people ask for my autograph.

i could die a very happy woman. but, i would kinda like to see what the future holds first....

happy birthday to me! -sn

4 Comments:

Blogger Joel Swagman said...

That's a list to be proud of. Happy Birthday

5:45 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

From the sister who is pushing 40...congratulations on pushing 30! I look forward to reading your top 10 from the next decade....babies? more countries? a new career? gray hair? another 20lbs? Just kidding, life only gets better from here!
Happy birthday from your biggest fan! JB

10:26 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am Travis McGee's biggest fan, but you're a close runner-up. Love you, little sister

8:11 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That's great Schipper. I won't be able to lose that name for you. You've done a lot of amazing things. Now I realize that your sister's initials are the same as mine so I'll have to change my signature. Did I have a nickname in college? I was "Kissifer" in middle school but it had nothing to do with kissing and more to do with the -fer and a teddy bear with the same name. Unnamed old roommate...

10:45 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home