Wednesday, November 15, 2006

hidden tracts

i love hidden tracts on cds. you think your cd is over and then whoops! another song! the best is when the hidden tract turns out to be your favorite song on the whole cd. the whole cd can be good and then the hidden tract boosts it to great. it's like having an "11" on your amp (any spinal tap fans out there?)

recently i discovered a hidden tract that is undoubtedly my favorite song in the whole WORLD. i know that sounds dramatic, but i'm pretty sure it's true. let me think of all the songs i know, just a sec.....................yep, it's true.

the reason why this song is so good is because i can feel it squeezing my heart. sometimes people or places or speeches or sermons or versus do this, and then they become my favorite. if you want to be my favorite, squeeze my heart.

two people who have been squeezing me for quite some time now are my older sisters. i do not say "older" to make them feel bad. i say older b/c to me that means that they have wisdom that i can gain from. they are both very beautiful people, good mothers, involved, questioning, heart squeezing, both in their own unique ways.

on friday night i had these squeezers over for dinner. what a wonderful time. we were supposed to watch a movie but ended up talking the night away, about politics. usually i save political talks for my brothers-in-law or my dad. we get into these heated debates that do not squeeze my heart but actually almost stop it from beating! though filled with love, sometimes i think we disgust each other. and that is why i'd rather stay away from those types of conversations with my sisters.

but, our conversation remained very respectful. though we all have our own views we were able to talk without anyone dying of heart failure. at one point in the conversation my oldest sister said, "how can we have such different views when we grew up in the same household!?" and it IS strange. how can we feel so strongly about things on such OPPOSITE sides of the spectrum?

it got me to thinking. perhaps these kinds of discussions exist so that we humans will keep hashing it out. whether it's on the senate floor or around your own dining room table these conversations are important. they're important so that one day, Lord willing, we will find answers. and so i ask, "how long Lord, how long?" here's my song "Not too Late" i wish you could hear it:

Till we lay these weapons at your feet, Lord
How long, how long
Till we call all hatred obsolete, Lord
How long, how long
Till we walk like lovers thru Bethlehem
How long, how long
Till the lion lies down with the lamb, Lord
How long, how long

Too late
I know it's not too late
To wrestle with this angel
Higher and higher
Don't let go
Higher and higher
Before we know
How does it end
How does it end
We're all riding on the last train
Trying to find our way home again

Till we wash the blood from the hands of our fathers
How long
We're all sisters and brothers, sons and daughters
How long, how long
Our eyes all shine in different colors we cry, Lord
How long
Our dreams our tears are all the same by and by, Lord
How long, how long

Too late
I know it's not too late
To climb up Jacob's ladder
Higher and higher
Don't let go
Higher and higher
Before we know
How does it end
How does it end
We're all riding on the last train
Trying to find our way home again

It's not too late

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

You "squeezed my heart" as well. Thank you for the respectful, loving, stimulating conversation. I've been talking about our wonderful talk for days now. Frankly, Shawn thinks you've turned me "to the dark side!"

I appreciate my sisters more and more the older I get. I don't think I tell you that nearly enough. I love you...JB

7:49 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home