Friday, September 22, 2006

phones


i hate phones. when the phone rings at my house, brett answers it. if he's not home, i usually let it ring. first of all, it is usually not for me. and second of all, there was a period of time when we were getting a lot of collect calls from prison inmates. i thought that it would just be better to let the phone ring than to turn down a prison inmate. now, i'm just in the habit of hiding from the phone.

for many years i carried a cell phone. it seemed like a good choice for a girl living on her own. but, i found that i was always worried about that phone. was it turned off in church? would it ring inappropriately? am i going to crash my car on the s-curve b/c i'm talking on it? i never had any solitude when carrying that phone. any quiet moments i could possibly have were spent with someone's voice chit-chatting in my ear. i also found that the main person i would talk to on my cell phone was brett. i would call him at work. call him on my lunch break. call him on my drive home. and talk to him until the moment he knocked on my front door. couldn't we have just waited to say what we had to say? apparently not.

then brett and i got married. and we were caught in cell phone contract limbo for a whole year. we couldn't get rid of our cell phones unless we wanted to pay the $200 fee for breaking the contract. so, we lived with two cell phones and a land-line (for high speed internet access) for a year. that was a lot of money wasted.

brett and i still have a land-line (for the internet mainly) and one cell phone (for emergencies). i never carry the cell phone. the phone is definately brett's domain. i'm quite content to live life without a tiny box filled with chit-chat in my pocket. i ask brett to carry it with him so that he has a way to call me during the day if he needs too. but, sometimes i wish that we could just get rid of it. but then again, without that phone i would never get calls like the one i just received. the secretary buzzed me and said, "sara? i think it's your husband." she was right. it was brett, and he was singing at the top of his lungs, "I JUST CALLED, TO SAY, I LOVE YOU. AND I MEAN IT FROM THE BOTTOM OF MY HEARRRRRT." when i laughed and asked him what he wanted he said, "no really, i just called to say...i love you." heh. -sn

2 Comments:

Blogger Joel Swagman said...

I have a feeling cell phone addiction is just going to get worse from here on out. Hang in there.

11:04 AM  
Blogger Melissa said...

Hear hear! I don't like cell phones either. Wireless leashes.

1:46 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home