Friday, January 06, 2006

rec room redo

so i've been on this new kick lately. i've just recently discovered that you can win awesome prizes from local television stations. currently i am in the running for a new snowblower and a $500 gift certificate to Bill and Paul's Sportshause. to win the snowblower it has to snow at least three inches in one day. so far this winter that has only happened three times and i have yet to win (they are giving away 8). the kicker is that i checked the names of the winners thus far and this guy i went to high school with won one. bastard. i will have to wait until the middle of february to see if I won the cash.

my newest winning venture is going to be to try to win a new "rec room." to qualify i had to write a 200 word essay about my current rec room and send two photos of said room. i'm still tweaking the essay but thought i would post it here for any comments. please feel free to give me your ideas, i really want to win this one.

my essay:

I flip on the light. I tentatively begin my descent down the basement stairs. I know that as I near the last step the tune of “Stayin’ Alive“will undoubtedly start my hips to wigglin’. And I will be unable to control myself from striking that all familiar pose that John Travolta made so popular. Welcome to my 70’s style rec room.


Entering my basement rec room is definitely equivalent to entering into another era, an era where pants were belled, hair was big, carpets were wildly striped, and walls were made of fake wood paneling.

Let me give you a brief tour. Following the various degrees of orange and black stripes in the carpet you find yourself surrounded by half-painted wood paneling. If you look closely you will notice beams of light shining through the cracks in the wood. Upon further inspection you find that all of the windows have been covered up giving the room that much sought after “dungeon look.” Special spaces were cut elsewhere for…a t.v. perhaps? A bar? We’re not sure. And last but not least there is the fake fireplace/electric heater that we are afraid to turn on.

Please help us escape this 70’s nightmare!

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I used to hang out at your house before you lived there, I think that the opening you are unsure of, was used for a fish tank, you can see the swinging door like top. And yes that room is a throwback.

6:49 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Descent, not decent

6:54 AM  
Blogger Morris Mathews said...

Rockin'... I didn't know there were that many contests out there just for the taking.

5:48 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home