Tuesday, October 09, 2007

poop happens

this is what the shirt of one of my patients said this week. she is 4 months old and she is a pooper! poop is a big deal in the hospital. another one of my patients pooped today and the whole staff started cheering. it had been 8 days for this little guy.

it was my job to take the stool sample. as i gagged and teared my way through it, alone, in the bathroom i just had to thank God, once again, for my health. this kid is unhealthy through no fault of his own. but, many others in the hospital are sick because of the choices they've made, bad choices.

it's all the poop i see in the hospital that inspires me to make good choices. while it's true that poop does happen, it's not true to say that we don't have choices about our health. if you're having trouble making good choices i'll let you tag along with me sometime. one mucusy stool sample might help. -sn

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

You're really getting to the shitty stuff now! Just be thankful they are kids. Or...er, ah...are you on an adult floor now? Obviously you've never had the pleasure of submitting a stool sample at your yearly physical :-)

11:28 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's amazing once you have kids how much of your normal conversation revolves around poop...
- Melissa

9:07 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home