Wednesday, September 14, 2005

pity me

so two semesters ago i was taking a class in something i like to call chemistry. maybe you call it that too. in my class was a boy named david and he was from the sudan. if you know anything about sudan you know that it is not a good place to live right now. and it was an even worse place to live a couple years ago. i do not know david's story. i do not know what possibly horrific events led him to Grand Rapids, MI. alls i know is that he sat across the aisle from me in chemistry class, was fairly quiet, had beautiful, deep, dark, black skin, and spoke with a soft, luring accent. later i learned that he has a huge heart too.

i ride my bike to school b/c i refuse to pay $100 to park for two and a half hours a week. so every day that i have class i rush home from work, put on clothes that i can sweat in, jump on my bike, wave good-bye to charlie, my neighbor, and speed down the great mountain that some people call Fulton Street (to all of you i say...ride your bike UP it sometime). i usually enjoy my ride to school. i've met some nice people. i've risked death a few times. and i get some much needed exercise. the times when i do not enjoy riding my bike is when a)it is raining b)it is snowing and c) i am late.

well, it was nearing november 13, wedding day. it was cold, it was half raining, half sleeting, and half peeing on my head. i must have looked very stressed on my bike that day and even more stressed when i came shuffling into the classroom b/c that was the day that david showed me his heart.

david approached me after class and introduced himself. he told me that he often saw me riding my bike to school as he was driving. he said that every time he saw me he would say "oh dear God that poor girl." he proceeded to give me his phone number and told me that he would give me a ride to school whenever i needed one.

i told my dad this story and he said, "only my daughter could get pity from a sudanese refugee."

well, it seems to have happened again dad. only this semester its genetics, the weather is still being kind, and Laura is a woman from Kenya. she has befriended me and taken me under her lovely wing. she showed me where the library was today and told me that she would make the copies i need for next week's class.

do i have a sign on my head that says "international students please pity me?" i kind of hope so...it's a good way to make some really cool new friends. --SN

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home